A permit is required by anyone using a rifle, bow or dog to hunt on land managed by the Department of Conservation.

In this section

You need to take a valid hunting permit with you at all times to legally hunt on land managed by DOC.

All blocks in the Greenstone/Caples Recreational Hunting Area (RHA) are restricted permit blocks issued by way of two ballot draws, one for April/May each year (the ROAR) and one for June to September. Ballot applications are accepted in November and February for the respective ballot periods.

A restricted permit means:

  • The permit is issued for a specific hunting block only
  • You need to request the permit from your local DOC office

Restricted permits are also issued for gamebird, rabbit, hare and possum hunting with rimfire rifles, shotguns and .22s, and for animal fur trapping.

April/May 2016 ballot

You can now apply for the April/May 2016 ballot via an online application form.

Applications will be accepted during November until 1 December 2015. The ballot will be drawn in December under police supervision and party leaders advised of the results by the end of January 2016.

Complete the online application form for the April/May 2016 ballot

Your responsibilities

It is your responsibility to:

  • Find out about pesticide use in the area you are hunting in before your trip
  • Comply in full with the conditions under which the hunting permit is issued
  • Comply with each area’s special conditions for hunting and the use of dogs
  • Get permission from any private land owners before you cross their land
  • Ensure you do not hunt on restricted hunting areas unless you have received separate consent from the relevant DOC issuing office
  • Carry a hunting permit with you whenever you go hunting on land managed by DOC

View the permit conditions

Back to top