Updated: 7 March 2014
For your safety, every effort has been made to ensure that this information is correct at the time of writing. However you should contact the local DOC visitor centre for the latest updates.
On this page:
Fiordland National Park notes
Hut and campsite fees are payable for huts and campsites in Fiordland National Park.
Before you go into the outdoors, tell someone your plans and leave a date to raise the alarm if you haven't returned. To do this, use the New Zealand Outdoors Intentions process on the AdventureSmart website. It is endorsed by New Zealand's search and rescue agencies and provides three simple options to tell someone you trust the details about your trip.
Open, bookings required - fully booked until end of this season but check for cancellations on our website
- Clinton Valley - track damage due to avalanches – rough underfoot and temporary navigation markers are in place
Open, bookings required - limited spaces available until mid March
Open, bookings required - limited spaces available until late March
Great Walks Booking Desk
Opening hours daily 8am to 6pm
Ph: +64 3 249 8514
back to top
Summer season open
- Summer season open
- Percy Viaduct closed please use newly built track
- Prior bookings required and can be made on the Hump Ridge Track website.
Humpridge Track Office
Phone: + 64 3 226 6739
- Expect tree falls on the Circuit track and Lake Rakatu track
- Track in good condition and low walking numbers at present
- Martins Bay end of route can be affected by high tide. Walkers need to walk along the coast to Long Reef to meet the track to Martins Bay. Safe walking times are 2 hours either side of high tide
- Expect windfalls and storm damage
- Green Lake Track - expect tree falls
- Monowai Hut to head of Grebe Valley - expect tree falls
Day walks & other facilities
- Deer Flat Campsite open with reduced area and facilities- please don’t pass barrier
- East Homer Nature Walk - Closed indefinitely due to existing rock fall and continued instability
- Gertrude Saddle Route - Snow and ice present at upper part of track, avalanche hazard exists
For up to date information on the Milford Road see the NZ Transport Agency website.
- 4wd track between Careys and Boundary hut very difficult and not recommended
New Zealand weather patterns change rapidly. These changes will affect conditions on tracks and routes in Fiordland National Park. Always check the latest weather report on the Metservice website before you leave on your trip and be prepared to change your plans if conditions are unfavourable.
Restricted Fire season in Fiordland/Southland
Thank you for helping to protect our environment.
Didymo controls for Fiordland rivers
Biosecurity measures have been put in place for Fiordland National Park rivers to limit the spread of didymo, an introduced and invasive freshwater alga. Approved cleaning stations and control measures are operating. Please view the Didymo Controls for Fiordland National Park information leaflet which includes a map showing the control areas.
For further information about didymo and the control measures contact:
Please report any hazards you see in the backcountry to the DOC HOTline, phone: 0800 DOCHOT (0800 362 468).
back to top