There are two campsite passes for campervans:
Campsite pass for rental campervans
Conservation campsite pass for rental campervans
If you're planning to explore New Zealand in a rental campervan, you can buy DOC's weekly campsite pass.
Buy the weekly pass when you hire your campervan and save up to 50% on campsite fees at more than 90 of DOC’s most scenic campsites.
How many nights can you stay?
Each pass is valid for seven consecutive nights at designated campsites.
How much does it cost?
- $25 for a Single pass (one adult)
- $50 for a Double pass (two adults)
- $75 for a Family pass (two adults and up to two children/youths)
Prices are valid 1 July 2017 – 30 June 2018.
- Adult: 18+ years
- Child/youth: 5-17 years
- Under 5 years: free
Where can you use it?
Use the pass at more than 90 vehicle-accessible Standard and Scenic campsites. Note: the pass can't be used to pay for Serviced campsites, campsites that are booked online, or powered sites.
View a map showing where the campsite pass can be used (PDF, 3,949K)
Who can use it?
Anyone travelling in a rental campervan can use the pass.
How does it work?
Display the pass on the campervan dashboard where it's clearly visible. Present it to the campsite warden on request.
Your details, including the dates the pass is valid and vehicle registration, will be filled in by the rental company or their agent.
Where can you buy it?
Buy the pass through participating rental vehicle agencies:
An online version of the pass is available through Rankers.
Weekly pass terms and conditions
- Each pass can be used for up to seven consecutive days.
- The pass is valid for the dates written on the pass.
- The pass is only valid for the vehicle registration written on the pass.
- This pass is not transferrable and cannot be exchanged for money.
- The pass is valid at designated DOC campsites.
- All campsites are subject to availability and advanced bookings are not accepted with this pass.
- The pass cannot be used at campsites which are Serviced, powered, or on the online booking system.
DOC/NZMCA campsite pass
If you are a New Zealand Motor Caravan Association (NZMCA) member, you can purchase a campsite pass to access DOC standard and scenic campsites around New Zealand. The pass can be used at approximately 200 motor-caravan accessible campsites (some exceptions apply).
The DOC/NZMCA campsite pass gives members more opportunities to enjoy New Zealand's great outdoors. Members can choose either a full year campsite pass option for $175 or a 5-months campsite pass for $100.
To purchase a DOC/NZMCA pass and to find out more, visit the NZMCA website.
Campsites where the pass can be used
North Island campsites (PDF, 2,158K) | South Island campsites (PDF, 2,111K)