Education House: Matiu/Somes Island
Built as part of the Maximum Security Quarantine station in the 1970s this 3 bedroom brick house is ideal for family or group accommodation. It is in a unique rodent free scientific and historic reserve and has stunning harbour views. Enjoy the walking tracks that lead through the regenerating bush, home to rare native fauna and get up close to the significant historical sites such as the WWII gun emplacements and Maori pa.
Transport to Matiu/Somes Island is by East by West Ferry (Dominion Post Ferry) departing from Queens Wharf Wellington City or Days Bay, and Seatoun or Petone on most weekends. On weekdays the last scheduled ferry departs Queens Wharf at 2:15pm and Days Bay at 3:15pm.
We highly recommend that groups of more than 2 book a place on the ferry.
In severe weather conditions one or both ferries can be cancelled.
Visitors may also arrive by kayak or private vessel between the hours of 8:30 am and 5:00 pm. See Matiu/Somes Island boat access for landing protocols.
- Sleeps 10; Bedroom 1: 4 single bunks, Bedroom 2 and 3: Double with single bunk above. Pillows are provided, but no bedding. Please bring your own duvet/sleeping bag and pillow covers.
- Power on the island is supplied by renewable resources, wind turbine and solar panels. Because of the limited power supply we ask you to not bring or use electrical appliances such as hairdryers, etc.
- Fully equipped kitchen: gas oven/grill and four burner hob, pots, pans, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- Shower and bath with solar heated hot water.
- There is no heating, phone and no shops.
- Visitors will be expected to leave the house clean and tidy (toilet paper and cleaning materials are provided).
- Please take all your rubbish/recycling with you and remove it from the island.
- Check in and out time of the house is midday. Your bags can be stored at other locations if needed at any time.
- Remember to bring a good torch with you, if it has a red light all the better, so you can take yourself for a night walk.
- Pets are not permitted on Matiu/Somes.
- The island has a complete fire ban. During the dry summer months the island can be closed due to extreme fire risk which may affect your booking.
- Smoking is restricted to the Main Wharf, 10 minutes walk from the house.
- Cycling is not permitted on the Island for the safety of all visitors. However bikes may be locked at the wharf.
$200 per night, sole occupancy. Maximum number of occupants is 10.
Book Education House online or contact the Wellington Vistior Centre.
Before you book:
- Read booking terms and conditions.
- Full payment is required at the time of booking.
- Cancellations must be made at least 10 days before the original occupancy date and within 48 hours of making the booking, otherwise a cancellation fee applies.
- Transfers are not able to be made less than or equal to 2 days before the first night of stay.
Pest animals and plants can invade our treasured islands by stowing away on or in your footwear or gear, or on your vessel or kayak. It's easy to pick one up.
- Please check your vessel and belongings for unwanted rodents and insects before leaving for Matiu/Somes Island.
Pay special attention to clothes and footwear - make sure they're thoroughly clean
- Once checked:
- keep your bags tightly closed
- keep food supplies in sealed containers
- On arrival, in the Whare Kiore/quarantine building, which is located next to the main wharf, all bags will be inspected.
Find out how to prevent pest animals and plants hitching a ride with you to the island: Please help Wellington and Kapiti treasure islands.