Powell Hut can be accessed via Holdsworth Road end and is on the popular Mt Holdsworth - Jumbo Circuit.
2 km south of Masterton, turn off SH2 into Norfolk Road, which turns into Mt Holdsworth Road. Follow signs to Tararua Forest Park, about 15 km from SH2.
Approximate times from nearest road and huts
NZTopo50 map sheet: BP34
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1804184, N5471183
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0 - 10 years): free
During the booking period
Fees are paid at the time of booking. If you want to use a Backcountry Hut Pass, contact:
Outside the booking period
Buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green for adults, orange for youth) or 3 Standard Hut Tickets (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Read more about hut tickets and passes | Find retailers that sell hut tickets
Know before you go
- Dogs are not allowed in backcountry huts.
- Hunters must comply with the Arms Code.
- Any disorderly conduct will not be tolerated and will be handled in conjunction with the local police.