A narrow grassy track, steep in places, starts from Du Fresne Place and leads you across a number of what were once defensive ditches to the end of Tapeka Peninsula and the top-most part of Tapeka Pa itself.
You can get stunning views all along the track over the whole of the Bay of Islands, from Cape Wiwiki in the north to Rakaumangamanga in the south-east.
10,000 Steps Northland: This track equates to about 667 steps.
Tapeka Point is located 1 km north of Flagstaff Hill, near Russell.
Know before you go
- Make sure all children are supervised on this walk.
- Natural hazards exist e.g. cliffs, drop-offs, undercuts, slips.
- Remain on the maintained track at all times.
- Do not attempt the track after dark.
- Parts of this track are steep and slippery so take care after rain.