View from Motukawanui Hut
- Lighting by candle
- Cold tap water
- Composting toilet
- Platform bunks
Access to the island is by boat only.
The hut is in Waiiti Bay on Motukawanui Island.
NZTopo50 map sheet: AV29
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1685593, N6125770
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0 - 10 years): free
Backcountry Hut Tickets and Passes can't be used at this hut - pay when you make a booking.
Know before you go
- Camping is not permitted due to the risk of fire, which poses a huge threat to the kiwi population and other wildlife on the island. Toilet waste from campers may pollute waterways or damage archaeological sites.
- Wai-iti Bay is sheltered with a sandy beach suitable for swimming and snorkelling as well as the safe beaching of dinghies and kayaks.
- No dogs.
- The hut is locked. You will receive instructions on getting the access code in your booking confirmation letter.
The weather can change rather quickly in the channel crossing over to the island, so it is advisable to consider this when preparing to cross, ensuring also that all safety procedures are met. Read the Maritime Safety leaflet.
Help stop kauri dieback
Kauri dieback disease is killing our native kauri. It spreads by soil movement, but you can help prevent it.
- Stay on the track and off kauri roots.
- Clean your gear before and after visiting kauri forests.