On your way to Taronui Bay itself you will cross three stiles.
The Taronui Recreation Reserve Track starts approximately 16.2 km north of Kerikeri.
From Kerikeri, take the Heritage Bypass north, turn right onto Waipapa Road, then Landing Road, then Kapiro Road. You can also get to Kapiro Road turning off from SH10.
From Kapiro Road, turn into Purerua Road, then Hewitt Road. The reserve is signposted on the corner of Hewitt Road, and there is a carpark at the entrance.
There is no vehicle access to Taronui Bay. You can only walk to it at low tide along the Taronui Recreation Reserve Track or from Tapuaetahi Beach at low tide. Signs and orange warratahs along the beach mark the route.
Know before you go
- Camping, shooting and pets are not allowed on the track or in the recreation reserve.
- The track is quite exposed, so appropriate clothing/hats/sunscreen is essential, as is a good supply of drinking water.
- While the track is mostly flat and well-formed, it does include inclines and some scrub, so may not be suitable for the very young or the elderly.
- Vehicles can be parked next to the DOC sign.
- Before leaving for your walk, make sure your vehicle is locked and any valuables out of sight.