You can also walk the track in the reverse direction.
The track passes through stands of young kauri, totara and associated native vegetation. As you walk along the track, you will pass the remains of a historic powerhouse, built as part of a hydro-electric generation scheme that operated between 1930 and 1967. The building’s remains are open to the public.
You can see interesting rock formations close to the Wharepuke Falls. At the base of these falls is a popular swimming-hole.
Ten minutes westward along the river from the Wharepuke Falls, the Kerikeri River Track goes under the Heritage Bypass and takes you to a seating area at the Fairy Pools.
10,000 Steps Northland: This track equates to about 4,667 steps.
Visit the Sport Northland website to learn more about the programme.
Fishing is allowed in the Kerikeri River. Fishing permits and information are available from Fish and Game New Zealand.
The Kerikeri River Track starts in the Kerikeri Basin Reserve, off Landing Road, Kerikeri and ends at the Rainbow Falls.
You can access the track from Rainbow Falls Road as well as from the Heritage Bypass and Edkins Road further downstream.
Nature and conservation
The Kerikeri River, at the Wharepuke Falls, and the larger Rainbow Falls, tumbles over basalt lava fields, which flowed into the river valley following volcanic eruptions some 200 million years ago.
Know before you go
- Dogs are not permitted on the walking tracks in the Kerikeri Basin due to the risk they pose to kiwi and other wildlife.
- Parking, picnicking and a BBQ area in the Kerikeri Basin Recreation Reserve at the eastern end of the track. To get there – travel along the Heritage Bypass, turn right into Waipapa Road, then right into Landing Road. The Kerikeri Basin Recreation Reserve is at the far end of Landing Road.
- Parking and picnic facilities are also at the western end of the track – access from Rainbow Falls Road.
- Carry warm, waterproof clothing, and food and drink, even on short walks. Stout shoes or walking boots are advisable.
- Before leaving for your walk, make sure your vehicle is locked and any valuables out of sight.