Coldwater Hut sits at 620 m on the edge of Lake Rotoiti.
From the hut, walk to the swingbridge over the Travers River (2 hr return) or to Whisky Falls via Lakeside Track (1 hr 30 min - 2 hr return)
- Bunks - platform (shared) bunks with mattresses
- Water source - cold water from rain collection tank or from the lake
- Heating - wood burner (firewood not provided)
- Space for camping outside the hut
Huts have basic facilities. You'll need to take:
- Sleeping bag
- Cooking stove, pots/pans and utensils
- Toilet paper
- Rubbish bag
- Newspaper/firelighters and matches/lighter for the wood burner/fire
Times from nearest access points and huts
- St Arnaud via Lakeside Track and Mount Robert Road (Lake Rotoiti Circuit): 3 hr 30 min
- Mount Robert Road end via Lakeside Track (Lake Rotoiti Circuit): 2 hr 30 min
- Lakehead Hut: 50 min across Travers River (no bridge) or 3 hr via swingbridge up Travers valley (Lake Rotoiti Circuit)
- John Tait Hut: 5 hr
- Angelus Hut via Cascade Route: 6 hr
Coldwater Hut can also be reached by water taxi from the end of the lake at St Arnaud. The jetty for drop-off or pick-up is directly in front on the hut.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BS24
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1584712, N5364523
- Adult (18+ years): $5 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $2.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0 - 10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Read more about hut tickets and passes | Find retailers that sell hut tickets
Know before you go
Note: Coldwater Hut is a different location to Coldwater Campsite.
Nelson Lakes - thefts from vehicles
Isolated carparks are prone to theft. Don't leave any valuables in your vehicle. A bag storage facility is available at the Rotoiti/Nelson Lakes Visitor Centre.