Lakehead Hut sits at the head of Lake Rotoiti in the Travers River valley, at an altitude of 630 m.
From the hut, walk to the swingbridge over the Travers River (2 hr return), or fish in the Travers River or in the lake.
- Bunks - platform (shared) bunks with mattresses
- Water supply - cold water from a rain collection tank
- Heating - wood burner with firewood provided (although there may be periods without firewood if weather conditions prevent resupply)
- Space for camping outside the hut
Huts have basic facilities. You'll need to take:
- Sleeping bag
- Cooking stove, pots/pans and utensils
- Toilet paper
- Rubbish bag
- Newspaper/firelighters and matches/lighter for the wood burner
Times from nearest access point and huts
- St Arnaud via Lakehead Track (Lake Rotoiti Circuit): 3 hr
- Coldwater Hut: 50 min across Travers River (no bridge) or 3 hr via swingbridge up the Travers valley (Lake Rotoiti Circuit)
- John Tait Hut: 4 hr 30 min
- Angelus Hut: 6 hr
- Hopeluss Hut: 5 hr
Lakehead Hut can also be reached by water taxi from the end of the lake at St Arnaud. From the jetty for drop-off or pick-up, it's a 15 minute walk to the hut.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BS24
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1585212, N5364023
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0 - 10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green for adults, orange for youth) or 3 Standard Hut Tickets (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Read more about hut tickets and passes | Find retailers that sell hut tickets