1 current alert for the Kauaeranga Kauri Trail Read details...

17 December 2014: Bridge closed

The bridge at the bottom of the Billygoat Track is closed due to flood damage so visitors will need to cross through the river at this point. River crossings are not advisable during or after heavy rainfall. The Webb Creek track up to the Pinnacles Hut is unaffected by this bridge closure.


The Kauaeranga Kauri Trail traverses steep and rugged country to the summit of the Pinnacles (759 metres). Here there are spectacular views of the bush, mountains and coastline of the eastern Coromandel. You can walk all, or do parts of the track.

Track overview

Walking and tramping

Easy: Walking track

Dog access

No dogs

About this track


(Track numbers relate to the Kauaeranga tracks location map)

10. Kauaeranga road end - Billygoat circuit

Time: 4 - 5 hr

Track to Pinnacles Hut.
Track to Pinnacles Hut

From the roadend car park, cross the river at the swingbridge, continuing alongside it to Webb Creek, then follow the historic packhorse route (steep in places) used by kauri bushmen in the 1920's to travel to logging sites in in the upper Kauaeranga Valley. After crosssing Webb Creek you will climb steps cut into rock to make the journey easier for the packhorses. Care is required in places as the steps can be slippery.

At the Hydro Camp junction (1.5 to 2.5 hr) take the Billygoat track where a steady 30 minute climb leads to a saddle with excellent views down the Kauaeranga Valley to the Hauraki Plains.  Drop down into Billygoat Basin, cross Billygoat Stream before passing through a clearing with basic camping facilities and then 5 minutes further on, a 50-metre side track overlooks the site of the collapsed long trestle bridge, once part of the bush tramline. Back on the main track, follow the tramline past the Short Trestle and Billygoat Falls (180 metres) before emerging at the Kauaeranga River.

11. Kauaeranga Roadend - Pinnacles Hut

The Pinnacles.
The Pinnacles

Time: 2.5 - 3 hr one way

From the roadend car park, walk to the swingbridge, cross the river and continue alongside the river to Webb Creek, then follow the historic packhorse route to the hydro Camp (1.5 - 2 hr). (See No 10 for more information).

The track from the Hydro Camp climbs and sidles around a hill before following a more open ridge with spectacular views of the east coast, before dropping down along a signposted side track for about 10 minutes to Pinnacles Hut. Look for the remains of Dancing Camp Dam 5 minutes down the track from the hut. This stringer flume dam, built in 1921, was the second largest dam in the valley and was partly restored in 1994.

12. Pinnacles Hut - Pinnacles

Time: 40 min one way

A steady climb, steep in places, follows a well constructed stepped path 1 km in length to the summit of the Pinnacles (759 metres). Here there are spectacular views of the bush, mountains and coastline of the eastern Coromandel. Take care at the summit.

Getting there

The Kauaeranga Valley is east of Thames on the Coromandel Peninsula.

Location map

A map of the tracks in the Kauaeranga area.


Kauaeranga Visitor Centre
Phone:      +64 7 867 9080
Address:   Kauaeranga Valley Road
Thames 3577
Email:   kauaerangavc@doc.govt.nz
Full office details
Hauraki Office
Phone:      +64 7 867 9180
Email:   thames@doc.govt.nz
Full office details
Waiau / Coromandel Base
Phone:      +64 7 866 1100
Full office details
Back to top