Set in farmland overlooking the Whangapoua estuary and a popular surf beach with good fishing.
There are stunning views of Mt Hirakimata and Rakitu Island.
Facilities and services
- Campsite serviced 1 December to end of February.
- Picnic shelter available.
At Okiwi, close to the airfield, on the edge of the Whangapoua Estuary, Great Barrier Island.
From Auckland via ferry or by air. Passenger and car ferry to Tryphena or Port Fitzroy, or air travel to Claris or Okiwi. Rental cars available for hire from Tryphena and Claris by arrangement.
Access: Narrow gravel roads.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1817893-N5997238
Latitude: -36.14512248, Longitude: 175.42182914
- Adult (18+ years): $13 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The campsite pass for rental campervans cannot be used at this campsite.
The DOC/NZMCA Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite except between 20 December and the end of Waitangi weekend.
Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be used at this campsite.
- Bookings should preferably be completed online. Phone and email bookings incur a service fee.
- Changes and additions to bookings will incur a fee up to $10 per alteration.
Book Whangapoua Campsite online, or contact:
Read the terms and conditions before you book.
A short walk gives access to the historic Wairarapa grave site at the northern end of the beach.
Endangered bird species: pateke (brown teal), New Zealand dotterel, oyster catcher and banded rail. Please do not disturb, and take special care during the nesting season.
Know before you go
- Fires are not permitted at any time. Bring your own cooker or gas BBQ.
- Vehicle access to beach is not permitted.
- We recommend boiling water before use.
You will be asked to leave if behaving in a disorderly or offensive way (e.g. excessive alcohol, using foul language, noisy or riotous). Drinking in public and the public display of alcohol are not permitted.