Set in farmland overlooking the Whangapoua estuary and a popular surf beach with good fishing.
There are stunning views of Mt Hirakimata and Rakitu Island.
Facilities and services
- Campsite serviced 1 December to end of February.
- Picnic shelter available.
At Okiwi, close to the airfield, on the edge of the Whangapoua Estuary, Great Barrier Island.
From Auckland via ferry or by air. Passenger and car ferry to Tryphena or Port Fitzroy, or air travel to Claris or Okiwi. Rental cars available for hire from Tryphena and Claris by arrangement.
Access: Narrow gravel roads.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1817893-N5997238
Latitude: -36.14512248, Longitude: 175.42182914
- Adult (18+ years): $13 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
A short walk gives access to the historic Wairarapa grave site at the northern end of the beach.
Endangered bird species: pateke (brown teal), New Zealand dotterel, oyster catcher and banded rail. Please do not disturb, and take special care during the nesting season.
Know before you go
Map of Whangapoua campsite
- Fires are not permitted at any time. Bring your own cooker or gas BBQ.
- Vehicle access to beach is not permitted.
- We recommend boiling water before use.
You will be asked to leave if behaving in a disorderly or offensive way (e.g. excessive alcohol, using foul language, noisy or riotous). Drinking in public and the public display of alcohol are not permitted.