Map of Medlands campsite
Surrounded by a mix of farmland, holiday homes and sand dunes, the campsite is sheltered and overlooks a tidal stream.
Facilities and services
- Campsite serviced 1 December to end of February.
- Shop and cafe approximately 4km north, and also 6km to the south of the campsite.
On the South end of Medlands Beach, Great Barrier Island.
From Auckland via passenger and car ferry to Tryphena or Port FitzRoy, or air travel to Claris or Okiwi. Rental cars available for hire from Tryphena and Claris by arrangement.
Access: Narrow gravel roads to campsite, off main sealed road.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1824828, N5983154
Latitude: -36.27039426, Longitude: 175.50288341
- Adult (18+ years): $13 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
- The estuary is safe for swimming and the beautiful beach is popular for surfing.
- Vehicle access to launch boats for fishing.
Know before you go
- No open fires are permitted, bring your own cooker or gas BBQ.
- Vehicle access to beach is not permitted, except at south end for boat launch.
- We recommend boiling water before use.
You will be asked to leave if behaving in a disorderly or offensive way (e.g. excessive alcohol, using foul language, noisy or riotous). Drinking in public and the public display of alcohol are not permitted.