World Wetlands Day
IntroductionCelebrate World Wetlands Day on 2 February to raise awareness of wetlands.
World Wetlands Day is celebrated every year on 2 February to raise global awareness about the value of wetlands for humanity and the planet. It also marks the adoption of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands in 1971 in the Iranian city of Ramsar.
World Wetlands Day has a different theme each year. A call to take action for wetlands is the focus of tthe 2022 campaign. It's an appeal to invest financial, human and political capital to save the world’s wetlands from disappearing and to restore those we have degraded. See the World Wetlands Day website.
Show you care by getting involved in World Wetlands Day. You could:
- have a family picnic beside a lake or river
- explore the waterway by kayak
- organise a community walk, bike or run for wetlands
- join a guided walk by an expert on wetland plants or birds
- attend a workshop or talk, for example, on flax weaving.
Disclaimer: Events on this site are a guide only. See the event on Eventfinda.co.nz directly to confirm details.