Exploring Future Opportunities
Fishing in the Taupo region
The focus of the project was to ensure the Taupō Sports Fishery delivers an internationally renowned and sustainable fishery, as well as contributing to the social, economic and cultural wellbeing of the region.
Read the report of the review
The report was publicly released in July 2013 and is available for download:
The project involved undertaking a review of the wider fishery (including marketing, management and accessibility) to determine how the fishery is able to meet the demands of all anglers, key partners and other stakeholders in the long term. To guide the development of the project, Terms of Reference (PDF, 4200K) were developed.
A collaborative project
The project involved significant public and stakeholder engagement to ensure it captured the experience, knowledge and insight of those who are currently involved in the Taupō sport fishery, as well as those who are not but could have a valuable role to play in it’s future.
The project was undertaken in partnership with:
- Ngāti Tūwharetoa Management Board - key partners in the Taupō Sports Fishery; and
- Fish and Game and the Taupō Fishery Advisory Committee - key stakeholders in the development of the project.
The department also worked with other key parties such as the Lake Rotoaira Trust, Taupō District Council, anglers, tourism operators and the wider community.
- 30 July 2013: Report released to grow Taupo sports fishery
- 20 November 2012: Public workshops for Taupō Fishery project
- 7 Nov 2012: Public meetings for Taupō Fishery Review
- 14 Sept 2012: Exploring future opportunities for Taupo Sports Fishery
- Terms of reference: Exploring Future Opportunities for the Taupō Fishery (PDF, 826K)
- Report on the Review of the Taupō Sports Fishery (PDF, 4200K)
Contact email@example.com for more information.