Weekends and public holidays during peak season (Labour weekend – April).
Hut wardens help ensure visitors to our serviced backcountry huts enjoy their stay in the right way.
- provide information to visitors
- hut pass/ticket compliance and recording
- cleaning and minor hut maintenance
- visitor satisfaction surveys.
What to expect
You need to be a reasonably fit and experienced tramper with a practical outlook, able to carry out hut wardening duties on your own and be familiar with the outdoor environment and ideally the Ruahine Forest Park area.
Fitness, skills and experience required:
- current New Zealand first aid certificate
- background check (police vetting)
- fit and healthy (able to carry own personal gear and tramp up to 4 hours)
- New Zealand backcountry experience
- fluent in English
- comfortable relating to range of people in a friendly manner.
Orientation: Volunteers who are accepted will be required to attend an orientation briefing prior to the work starting.
Accommodation: Sunrise Hut has separate warden's quarters (a key is required). Rangiwahia Hut does not have separate warden's quarters, so there is only space for one warden at a time at Rangiwahia. However, two people may warden together at Sunrise Hut if desired.
Safety procedures: Approved volunteers must comply with the Department of Conservation Health and Safety Policy and arrive prepared with appropriate amounts of food and warm/water proof clothing and sturdy walking boots. A mobile phone must be carried by the volunteer as a key source of communication.
Food and clothing: Hut wardens need to provide their own food, pack, personal gear/clothing and sleeping bag.
What will be provided for you:
- free accommodation in the huts
- a hut warden kit and DOC volunteer identification
- petrol vouchers to help cover transport costs.
Transport: Hut wardens need to find their own way to and from the appropriate Park entrance.
How to apply
If you are interested in volunteering as a Ruahine Forest Park hut warden, complete the online application form.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.