You need to take a valid hunting permit with you at all times to legally hunt on land managed by DOC.
You can apply online for a hunting permit to recreationally hunt pigs, chamois, tahr, wallaby, goats and deer in open hunting areas throughout New Zealand.
You can also request a permit from your local DOC office.
When applying you will need to give personal details of the hunter and then select each area in which you expect to hunt over the next four months.
Open hunting areas in Buller
Buller Gorge to Charleston
Heaphy (Kohaihai to Iwituaroa Range)
Karamea River to Radiant Range
Lyell to Newton River
Mōkihinui north and south
Paparoa Range West
It is your responsibility to:
- Find out about pesticide use in the area you are hunting in before your trip.
- Comply in full with the conditions under which the hunting permit is issued.
- Comply with each area’s special conditions for hunting and the use of dogs.
- Get permission from any private land owners before you cross their land.
- Ensure you do not hunt on restricted hunting areas unless you have received separate consent from the relevant DOC issuing office.
- Carry a hunting permit with you whenever you go hunting on land managed by DOC.
Permits for use of weapons not covered by the national hunting permit (i.e. shotguns, .22s and black powder) may be obtained for specific purposes for specified areas from the local DOC office.