IntroductionYou can hunt red deer, goats and pigs in the Cone Forest, Otapiri Scenic Reserve and Bare Hill Forest.
About this hunting block
The Cone Forest situated 7 km west of the Hokonui Forest is made up of five blocks with a total land area of approximately 660 hectares of podocarp and broad leaf forest. Also in the area and covered by this permit are:
- Otapiri Scenic Reserve, 17 ha of very steep bush and some flat rough pasture
- Bare Hill, 296 ha of podocarp and broad leaved forest and tussock tops.
The Cone Forest blocks are accessed off Otapiri Gorge Road and Taylors Bush Road.
Otapiri Scenic Reserve is accessed from Lora Gorge Road.
Bare Hill Forest is accessed from the Otapiri Mandeville Road.
All access is across private property and requires prior permission from the land owners.
NZTopo50 maps - CF10, CF11
A selection of Topo50 maps which cover the Southland region are available to purchase from the DOC Murihiku Office.
If you require a map that is not supplied at the Murihiku Office, you can download maps or check out a list of other retailers on the Land Information New Zealand website.
- Dogs must be registered and are not permitted in huts.
- When crossing private land, dogs are to be on a leash until well into forest and kept under control.
- DOC must be notified regarding missing or lost dogs on conservation land.
There are no DOC huts available.
If possuming, a permit must be obtained by visiting the DOC Murihiku Office in Invercargill.