NZTopo50 map sheet: BU22
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1524841, N5289303
The historic Slaty Creek Hut was originally built as a winter project in 1952 by deer cullers. It is believed to have replaced Climo's hut, which had burned down.
It is now used by recreational hunters, trampers and climbers.
Read more tales about this hut in the DOC Conservation blog post: If these walls could talk... deer culler huts tell tales of our past – 20 February 2012
A rare example of a hut built by cullers, largely from hand-hewn materials.
Waiheke River Track, Department of Conservation.
A hut built of pit-sawn tōtara slabs, with an iron roof. It contains four bunks, a bench, stools and has an open fire. The hut stands in a small clearing amid beech trees where Slaty Creek meets the Waiheke River, an upper Ahaura tributary.
The pit-sawn tōtara slab construction is an old method seldom seen today.
The hut will continue to be used for recreation on the Amuri Pass tramping route. The hut will continue to be maintained to protect its historic fabric and minimise deterioration.