Caretakers Cottage is in a unique rodent free scientific and historic reserve and has stunning harbour views.
- Three rooms: 1 large and 2 small with tables and chairs for 30 people.
- Flush toilet.
- Power is provided by renewable resources, wind turbine and solar panels. We ask users to be considerate with consumption and contact the rangers if you have special requirements. Heating is available when island power production permits.
- Fully equipped kitchen: small fridge, electric four ring hob, pots, pans, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery, solar hot water.
- Outside facilities: A large private flat lawn with 3 picnic tables, garden chairs and a gas BBQ.
- Whiteboard and pens.
Fees and booking
The venue is available for day-use only.
Sole occupancy: $105 per day. Maximum number of occupants is 30.
Contact Kapiti Wellington Visitor Centre.
Know before you go
- Leave the house clean and tidy (toilet paper and cleaning materials are provided).
- Take all your rubbish/recycling with you and remove it from the island.
- Pets are not permitted on Matiu/Somes.
- Cycling is not permitted on the Island for the safety of all visitors. Bikes may be locked at the wharf.
- The island has a complete fire ban. During the dry summer months the island can be closed due to extreme fire risk which may affect your booking.
- Smoking is only permitted at the wharf, 10 minutes walk from the house.
All groups must let the island staff know the arrival time of their ferry so that staff can assist once they land. Also let them know your expected landing time in kayaks.