This activity aims to spark interest and connection with nature through using observation and creative skills.
Download this activity
What you need
- Cardboard (eg,a used cereal box) cut into a size slightly bigger than A4 – this is for the outside sleeve.
- Selection of A4 paper (try out different colours) making up the pages.
- Elastic band, string or ribbon to hold it together.
- Envelope (A5 or smaller) and glue stick/stapler – glue or staple on an inside sleeve and use as a pocket for pencils and anything you wish to collect.
- Pens, coloured pencils.
What to do
- Work together to put the journals together and decorate them.
- Explore your outdoor environment and record your observations in the journal in any way you wish to. For example, writing, drawings, leaf rubbing.
- As you explore, collect natural objects to keep in your journal. For example fallen leaves, seeds, flowers, bark, twigs.
- If you have a camera, take photos of plants, animals or aspects that interest you.
Get help identifying species
Claim your Kiwi guardians medal
Complete the claim form to tell us about your activity, and we'll send you a medal. Each Kiwi Guardians action has a different medal – see how many you can collect.
Tells us about your activity
The team at Toyota Kiwi Guardians would love to hear about what you did. Send us an email, or share something online using #KiwiGuardians, so we can share it with others. Visit Kiwi Guardians Facebook page.