Kiwi Guardians at Ulva Island (Te Wharawhara)
IntroductionWhen you walk through the bush alive with birds, you'll begin to understand just what's possible without pests.
- Keep your eyes open on the water taxi there and back. Look out for penguins/ kororā, sealions/pakake, jelly fish/petipeti and dolphins/aihe.
- Get ready for all the bird life! See the endemic and endangered saddleback/tīeke, kiwi, rifleman/titipounamu, yellowhead/mohua and many more!
- Be careful that the weka doesn't steal your lunch!
Download the Ulva Island (Te Wharawhara) adventure map (PDF, 2,068K) and check out what you can do.
Go and explore
Look out for the Guardian Post when you get there. On it you'll find a special code word - write it down.
- On arrival to Stewart Island/Rakiura, visit the Rakiura National Park Visitors Centre at 15 Main Road to find out more about Ulva Island (Te Wharawhara).
- Take Golden Bay Road up over the hill to Golden bay wharf. This is where you will depart on your chosen water taxi across Paterson Inlet/Waka a te wera.
- You will arrive 10 minutes later at Post Office Cove wharf. Follow the gravel path to the 4 way junction (10 minutes).
- Follow the sign on the left to Sydney cove (10 minutes). Walk along the beach and back up on the track. You will see another sign pointing up some steps to Flagg Staff point then follow signs back to Post office cove wharf.
Claim your reward
Tell us the Ulva Island (Te Wharawhara) code word to receive a Kiwi Guardians certificate and medal for this adventure.
Put the medal on your back pack or pencil case to show everyone the adventure you've had.
Each Kiwi Guardians place has a different medal - see how many you can collect.