Kiwi Guardians at Taiaroa Head (Pukekura)
IntroductionRugged and remote, the perfect location for exploring some of our unique wildlife and history. You may even get to see some royalty…
- Learn about the life of our majestic albatross, and hopefully spot one soaring above too!
- Discover the history of the area, including guns that disappear!
- Learn about Pukekura, a significant pā that was once here.
Download the Taiaroa Head (Pukekura) adventure map (PDF, 2,068K) and check out what you can do.
Go and explore
Look out for the Guardian Post when you get there. On it you'll find a special code word - write it down.
Getting there: Pukekura/Taiaroa Head
- Taiaroa Head is an approximate 1 hr scenic drive from Dunedin City (30 kms).
- Follow Portobello road along the Otago Harbour to the settlement of Portobello after which the road continues along the edge of the harbour becoming Harrington Point road.
- Once you reach the end of Harrington Point road you will have arrived at the Royal Albatross Centre car park. There are signs for albatross along the way.
- You can also reach Taiaroa head via Highcliff Road which offers some sticking elevated views however this is less direct than sticking to the lower Portobello road.
Claim your reward
Tell us the Taiaroa Head (Pukekura) code word to receive a Kiwi Guardians certificate and medal for this adventure.
Put the medal on your back pack or pencil case to show everyone the adventure you've had.
Each Kiwi Guardians place has a different medal - see how many you can collect.