Download the adventure map (PDF, 80K) and check out what you can do.
Know before you go
- Some parts of the track can become slippery and muddy when wet.
- Bring appropriate footwear, clothing and enough water for the walk.
- There is no mobile coverage in parts of the forest
- No public toilets
- 3 km there and back – approximately 1 hour round trip
- Moderately difficult gravel and dirt track with some uphill sections
- Dogs, horses, firearms and fires are not allowed in the forest
What to bring
Go and explore
Look out for the Guardian Post when you get there. On it you'll find a special code word - write it down.
Pukenui Forest is approximately 10 km from Whangārei CBD. Forest tracks are signposted on Three Mile Bush Road approximately 4 km from the Kamo traffic lights. You can see the entrance sign almost opposite Rotomate Road or on Amalin Drive.
Claim your reward
Tell us the Pukenui code word to receive a Kiwi Guardians certificate and medal for this adventure.
Put the medal on your back pack or pencil case to show everyone the adventure you've had.
Each Kiwi Guardians place has a different medal - see how many you can collect.