Waiaua Gorge Hut
Located in Egmont National Park in the Taranaki region
IntroductionThis hut is a hidden gem in the wilderness of Mt Taranaki's west side. Bring your family for a day tramp or stay overnight to experience the park at night.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
- Bunks – mattresses provided
- Containment tank toilet a short walk from the hut
- Cold running water from a rainwater tank
- Fireplace with wood supplied
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green) or 3 Standard Hut Tickets (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
About hut tickets and passes | Retailers that sell hut tickets and passes
There are two ways to get to Waiaua Gorge Hut:
- It can be reach from the Around the Mountain Circuit.
- From Ihaia Road on the Ihaia Track. This is 5.9 km from Ihaia Road and takes around 2 hr 30 min to 3 hr 30 min one way to the hut. Due to a washout, the track takes a new route. Around 500 m below the junction with the Oaonui Track junction, there is a short track into the Waiaua River. Walk up the riverbed to reach the small spur to Waiaua Gorge Hut. Allow up to an extra hour to your travel time. Caution is required when walking up the Waiaua River riverbed due to loose debris. This riverbed can be inaccessible when in flood.
Tracks to this hut
West Egmont tramping tracksLocated in Egmont National ParkThe western slopes of the mountain are known for their very high rainfall, resulting in numerous wet and boggy areas.Duration 5 or 6 hr returnDifficulty Advanced
Around the Mountain CircuitLocated in Egmont National Park and North Egmont areaThe challenging Around the Mountain Circuit offers you spectacular bush and alpine scenery. It is best tramped from October to April.Duration 4–5 days loopDifficulty Advanced, Expert
NZTopo50 map sheet: BJ29
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1686336, N5646548
Caution is required when walking up the Waiaua River riverbed due to loose debris.
This riverbed can be inaccessible when in flood.
|Egmont National Park Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 6 756 0990|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
2879 Egmont Rd
Egmont National Park
PO Box 462
New Plymouth 4340
|Full office details|