Bring a copy of the DOC confirmation letter with you, or stop by the Rakiura National Park Visitor Centre at Oban before you start walking on the track.
Huts on the Rakiura Track don't have gas cooking facilities, lighting or toilet paper. Remember to take a portable stove and fuel, candles and toilet paper with you.
- Backpack – 40–60 litre size for multi-day hiking
- Waterproof/plastic pack liner
- Sleeping bag – 3–4 season
- First aid kit including insect repellent, sunscreen, blisterkit, personal medication, for example, antihistamine for allergy to wasp stings
- Survival kit including survival blanket, whistle, paper, pencil, highenergy snack food
- Safety equipment relevant to the track and time of year, for example, map, compass
- Drink bottle – 1–2 litre capacity
- Eating and cooking utensils – knife, fork, spoon, plate, cup, pot/pan/billy, cleaning kit, tea towel
- Gas cooker and fuel, for example, gas canister
- Matches or lighter in waterproof container
- Toiletries – do not wash or use soap in lakes or streams
- Torch/flashlight and spare batteries
- Rubbish bag
- Booking confirmation and ID
- Use a toilet when you see one and be prepared with a backup toilet option
- Earplugs for communal bunkrooms
- Sleeping mat
- Ground sheet
- For multi-day walking you'll need at least one set of clothes to walk in and another dry set to change into at night.
- Tramping/hiking boots or firm footwear – should be comfortable and well broken in
- Socks – wool or polypropylene
- Shorts – quick dry material
- Shirt – wool or polypropylene
- Under layers, top and bottom – wool or polypropylene
- Mid-layers – wool or polar fleece
- Raincoat – waterproof, windproof with hood
- Overtrousers – wind and waterproof
- Warm hat and gloves
- Sunhat and sunglasses
- Extra socks, underwear, shirt/lightweight jersey
- Lightweight shoes for inside the huts
You cannot buy food on the track.
Bring food that is lightweight, fast cooking and high in energy value. For example:
- Breakfast: cereal/porridge/oats, firm bread, honey or other spreads
- Lunch: cracker biscuits, cheese, salami, jam/jelly, fruit
- Dinner: instant soup, pasta or rice, dried vegetables or fruit, cheese or dehydrated (freeze-dried) meals.
You'll also need water, snacks, biscuits, muesli bars, tea or coffee, powdered fruit drinks and emergency food in case of any delays on the track.