IntroductionThis is a basic Great Walk campsite on Stewart Island/Rakiura. Situated in a grassy clearing with sand dunes and the beach in front of it.
A track behind the campsite leads to a rusting steam boiler, a relic from the days when Maori Beach supported two sawmills and a school.
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
All campsites on the Rakiura Track have a small shelter where you can set up cooking equipment if you need to, as well as a rainwater tank and toilet.
In the Great Walks season (1 October – 30 April)
New Zealand citizens and those ordinarily resident in New Zealand*:
- Adult (18+ years): $16 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): free but booking still required
- Adult (18+ years): $24 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): $12 per person, per night
Proof of eligibility is required for the New Zealand rate.
Outside the Great Walks season (1 May – 30 September)
For all visitors:
- Adult (18+ years): $5 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): free
The DOC Campsite Pass cannot be used at this campsite.
The campsite is located on the Rakiura Track near the beach at a historic sawmill site halfway between Lee Bay and Port William Hut.
Tracks to this campsite
Rakiura TrackLocated in Rakiura National Park and Stewart Island/RakiuraEscape on an island adventure - relax and unwind in the peaceful surroundings with the bush, birds and beach at your side.1 alertDuration 3 daysDifficulty Intermediate
Grid reference: NZTM2000, E1225646-N4799095
Latitude: -46.85664972, Longitude: 168.08849457