Diamond Lake and Rocky Mountain walks
Located in Diamond Lake and Hospital Flat conservation areas in the Otago region
IntroductionChoose from several walks including short, easier options suitable for kids, and enjoy views of Diamond Lake, Lake Wānaka and the surrounding mountains.
- Diamond Lake Circuit Track: 45 min return, 2.5 km
- Diamond Lake Lookout: 1 hr return, 2 km
- Lake Wānaka Lookout: 2 hr return, 5 km
- Rocky Mountain Summit Track: 3 hr return, 7 km
The track starts from the carpark and follows an old road to Diamond Lake.
From Diamond Lake, the track climbs steeply on a well formed track to a viewing platform above the lake. From here there are two options:
- A lower level circuit that takes in the Lake Wānaka viewpoint, with great views of both the lake and its islands. Sections of the track are steep and often slippery, even in summer. Particularly on the western side of the circuit where there is some light scrambling on a wet, rocky and muddy trail. Extreme care is required.
- An upper level circuit that winds its way to the top of 775 m Rocky Mountain. The views from here include the Southern Alps/Kā Tiritiri o te Moana and Mount Aspiring/Tititea.
Mountain biking is permitted to Diamond Lake only.
The surrounding bluffs are very popular with rock or sport climbers, especially in summer when there is no ice on these southerly faces.
Diamond Lake Conservation Area is 18.5 km west of Wanaka on the Wanaka-Mount Aspiring Road.
Extreme care is required on these walks during winter. Because of ice, the Diamond Lake Track may not be suitable to walk.
The Diamond Lake Conservation Area's landscape has been carved by Ice Age glaciers, with stands of native forest and shrubland nestling into bluff systems.
|Tititea / Mount Aspiring National Park Visitor Centre|
1 Ballantyne Road
PO Box 93
|Full office details|