Enjoy a glimpse of what pristine kauri forests were once like
Located in the Northland region
Trounson Kauri Park is a mainland island. The restoration project includes a 586-hectare forest reserve and farmland. The project aims to restore the former richness of native biodiversity this forest once boasted, and to let visitors enjoy a glimpse of what pristine kauri forests were once like.
Most of the forest was gifted to the Crown by James Trounson, an early settler, and officially opened in 1921.
Trounson Kauri Park is located in western Northland, 40 km north of Dargaville.