Location of the Heaphy Track in the north-west corner of the South Island
The Heaphy Track is not a circuit track; the start/end of the track at Brown Hut in Golden Bay and Kohaihai on the West Coast are 463 km apart by road.
Air services make it possible to walk the track one way and return by air to near your starting point.
Air New Zealand flies into Nelson, the closest regional airport to the Brown Hut, and Sounds Air flies into Westport, the closest regional airport to Kohaihai.
A number of local operators provide air transport into Takaka in Golden Bay and Karamea on the West Coast. See:
- air transport services for Takaka (Golden Bay New Zealand website) or
- air transport services for Karamea (Karamea Information and Resource Centre website).
Brown Hut is 156 km and a 2 hr 25 min drive from Nelson. To reach this eastern end of the track:
- Take SH 60 from Nelson to Collingwood (128 km)
- At Collingwood take the road up the Aorere Valley to Brown Hut (28 km)
Kohaihai is 110 km and a 1 hr 45 min drive from Westport. To reach this western track end -
- Take SH 67 from Westport to Karamea (95 km)
- At Karamea head north to the car park and campsite at the Kohaihai River (15 km)
Bus and taxi services are available to reach either end of the track from nearby towns. Both ends of the track have telephones; local calls for transport are free. Regular bus services link Nelson and Westport.
Transport operators are listed on: