Huts on the Abel Tasman Coast Track don't have gas cooking facilities and lighting. Remember to take a portable stove and fuel, and candles with you.
- Backpack (40–60 litre size for multi-day hiking)
- Waterproof/plastic pack liner
- Sleeping bag (3–4 season)
- First aid kit (including insect repellent, sunscreen, blisterkit, personal medication e.g. antihistamine for allergy towasp stings)
- Survival kit (survival blanket, whistle, paper, pencil, highenergy snack food)
- Safety equipment relevant to the track and time of year (e.g. map, compass, tide timetables)
- Drink bottle (1-2 litre capacity)
- Eating and cooking utensils (knife, fork, spoon, plate, cup,pot/pan/billy, cleaning kit, tea towel)
- Matches or lighter in waterproof container
- Torch/flashlight and spare batteries
- Rubbish bag
- Booking confirmation letter and ID
- Portable stove and fuel
- Toilet paper
- Sandals or aqua shoes for walking in water
- Visit the Kiwi way – never miss an opportunity to use a loo and be prepared with a back-up toilet option
If you're camping...
- Sleeping mat
- Ear plugs for communual bunkrooms
- For multi-day walking you'll need at least one set of clothes to walk in and another dry set to change into at night. Walking boots or firm footwear (should be comfortable and well broken in)
- Socks (wool or polypropylene)
- Shorts (quick dry material)
- Shirt (wool or polypropylene)
- Under layers, top and bottom (wool or polypropylene)
- Mid-layers (wool or polar fleece)
- Raincoat (waterproof, windproof with hood)
- Overtrousers (wind and water proof)
- Warm hat and gloves
- Sunhat and sunglasses
- Extra socks, underwear, shirt/lightweight jersey
Note: It's not possible to dry clothes in the huts. Cotton clothing such as jeans, T-shirts and sweatshirts aren't suitable.
- Lightweight shoes for inside the huts
You can't buy food on the track.
Bring food that is lightweight, fast cooking and high in energy value. For example:
- Breakfast: cereal/porridge/oats, firm bread, honeyor other spreads
- Lunch: cracker biscuits, cheese, salami, jam/jelly, fruit
- Dinner: instant soup, pasta or rice, dried vegetables or fruit, cheese or dehydrated (freeze-dried) meals.
You'll also need water, snacks, biscuits, muesli bars, tea or coffee, powdered fruit drinks and emergency food in case of any delays on the track.