Find out about fees for staying at huts on the Milford Track and how to make reservations in the summer season. The track takes 4 days to walk. Camping is not permitted.
In the Great Walks season (29 October 2019 – 30 April 2020):
New Zealand citizens and those ordinarily resident in New Zealand*:
- Adult (18+ years): $70 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): free but booking still required
- Adult (18+ years): $140 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): $140 per person, per night
Outside the Great Walks season (1 May 2019 - 28 October 2019):
Walking the track outside the Great Walk season should only be attempted by fit, experienced and well equipped trampers.
For all visitors:
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per person, per night
- Child (17 years and under): free
* New Zealand rates:
- "Ordinarily resident in New Zealand" means those:
- who hold a residence class, student or work visa; and
- who have lived in New Zealand for six of the previous 12 months; and
- for whom New Zealand is their primary place of established residence.
- Proof of eligibility will be required for the New Zealand rate - see acceptable eligibility proof.
A 10% discount is available to members, staff and instructors of the following organisations, who also hold a valid 12 month Backcountry Hut Pass: NZ Mountain Safety Council; NZ Federated Mountain Clubs; NZ Deer Stalkers Association; NZ Land Search and Rescue (LandSAR); Scouts New Zealand; GirlGuiding NZ.
Discounts are not available online. To receive the discount we need to sight your membership card and Backcountry Hut Pass, so please visit a DOC visitor centre in person. If you get a discount you won't be charged a booking fee.
What to book
In the Great Walks season you need to book all three huts on the track. You must start from the Lake Te Anau end and stay in each hut consecutively.
Outside the Great Walks season you don't need to book huts, but you need to take a Backcountry Hut Pass/Tickets. During the winter season there are reduced facilities and additional safety hazards to consider – see Outside the Great Walks season.
You also need to book transport services to/from the track.
How to book
Bookings are open to 30 April 2020.
Follow this step-by-step process to guide you through booking the Milford Track.
- Decide the date you want to start walking.
- Check time options for transport services between Te Anau and the start/end of the track. You can choose to:
- Book transport at the same time as booking huts.
- Add transport to your hut booking at a later date – contact the Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre.
- Book buses directly with an operator. Find transport operators for the Milford Track (Destination Fiordland website)
Note: You can't book the boat from Sandfly Point to Milford Sound through an operator – it must be booked through DOC, either at the same time as making your hut bookings or later through the Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre.
- Check availability of huts. If there is no space in each of the huts from the date you want to start, consider:
- Starting your walk on a different date.
- Doing a guided walk. Find guided walk options
- Book huts (and transport).
- Book transport between Te Anau and the start/end of the track if you haven't already done this at the same time as booking huts.
Terms and conditions
Read the booking terms and conditions (scroll to the bottom to find the Terms and Conditions link) for general information, age ranges, prices, discounts, penalty rates and the alterations and cancellations policy. Bookings not meeting the terms and conditions will be treated as invalid and cancelled.
Booking on behalf of others
Guided groups: To operate a commercial activity in an area managed by DOC, you need to apply for a concession (an official permit), in addition to any bookings you would need to make. Read more about concessions
To make multiple bookings for facilities/services on behalf of customers, you must obtain permission or an agent agreement from DOC. To do this, email: email@example.com