IntroductionThis is a basic eight-bunk hut in the Waipunga Forest.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from stream
To get to the hut you need to walk from Matakuhia carpark. Follow the Matakuhia Track and stream south for 6.5 km to Upper Matakuhia Hut.
There are two ways to get to Matakuhia carpark.
Northern entrance – Matakuhia carpark via Minginui Village
- Turn off SH5 onto SH38 near Maunga Kākaramea.
- At Te Whaiti, turn right into Minginui Road, then into Old Te Whaiti Road (gravel) at Minginui Village and follow for 1.1 km to Main South Road.
- Turn left onto Main South Road (public easement) and follow the DOC road signs for 38.8 km to Pine Milling Road signpost.
- Turn right and follow the direction sign on Pine Milling road 1.6 km to Matakuhia Carpark Road.
- Turn right onto Matakuhia Carpark Road and follow for 400 m to the carpark.
Access from Minginui Village and off SH5 is along unsealed forestry roads and is a public easement. Stay strictly to the route described.
Southern entrance – Matakuhia carpark Via SH5
- From Napier/Taupō highway SH5 turn off onto Pohukura Road.
- Turn left over the bridge onto Waipunga Road (public easement).
- Follow Waipunga Road for 17.9 km to a DOC sign/ junction.
- Turn right and follow for 4.6 km to Pine Milling Road signpost.
- Turn right and follow the direction sign on Pine Milling Road 1.6 km to Matakuhia Carpark Road
- Turn right onto Matakuhia Carpark Road and follow for 400 m to carpark.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BH38
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1911843, N5688824