Cuvier Island, east coast with the lighthouse in the background

Image: Terry C. Greene | DOC

Introduction

The lighthouse on Cuvier Island was the first cast iron light tower manufactured in New Zealand. The island is also now home to many of New Zealand's endangered wildlife.

Highlights

Cuvier Island Light Station is one of the most complete historic light stations in New Zealand.

Place overview

In this section

About this place

Getting there

Cuvier Island is in the eastern approaches to the Colville Channel between Great Barrier Island and the tip of the Coromandel Peninsula. Access is by boat only.   

Cuvier Island is managed primarily for scientific and species protection purposes - access is restricted to those with a DOC permit. 

Most visitors to the island go as members of prearranged holiday programmes or on volunteer working trips.

Contacts

Kauaeranga Visitor Centre
Phone:   +64 7 867 9080
Fax:   +64 4 471 1117
Email:   kauaerangavc@doc.govt.nz
Address:   995C Kauaeranga Valley Road
Thames 3577
Postal Address:   PO Box 343
Thames 3540
Hauraki Office
Phone:   +64 7 867 9180
Fax:   +64 4 471 1117
Email:   thames@doc.govt.nz
Address:   3/366 Ngati Maru Highway (SH25)
Thames 3500
Postal Address:   PO Box 343
Thames 3540
Back to top