Located in the Canterbury region
32 km from Geraldine.
Follow the Geraldine Fairlie Highway (79) for 23 km then left onto Gudex Road. Take the next right onto Middle Valley Road. Follow this road for 2 km before turning left through iron gates into Pioneer Park.
Pioneer Park got its name in recognition of the early pioneer families who settled in this area; “to commemorate the courage and forbearance of the early settlers”.
William Burke was the first settler to drive a bullock cart over the pass (which now bears his name) into the Mackenzie country. Within the reserve, a chimney within a protective shelter, is all that remains of the a slab and daub hut he built here in 1885.