View from Akaroa Head
Image: Michael Smeaton | DOC
The road descends past the foundations of the lighthouse keeper’s house and other buildings, to the site of the old lighthouse.
From here, follow the old supply road, constructed 1878 -79, which ends at an iron ladder descending to a rock shelf in Little Haylocks Bay.
The original Akaroa lighthouse was replaced in 1977 by an automated light, and in 1980 the lighthouse was relocated to Akaroa.
This reserve overlooks the Akaroa Marine Reserve in the Akaroa Harbour.
There are excellent coastal views of towering cliffs.
From Akaroa, take the Akaroa Lighthouse Road - 11 km of steep, narrow rough road, suitable for four wheel drive vehicles.
Note: from the car park it is foot access only.
Botanical significance of this reserve is low because of a long history of grazing, but there is plenty of wildlife.
Fur seals/kekeno are seen in the bay, with local colonies of white-fronted terns/tara, black-backed gulls/karoro and white-flippered penguins/kororā.