Orokawa Scenic Reserve
Located in the Bay of Plenty region
IntroductionOrokawa Scenic Reserve has beautiful coastal views, good rock fishing and lovely picnic spots throughout.
Find things to do and places to stay Orokawa Scenic Reserve
If you wish to fish from the rocks at Orokawa Scenic Reserve, be aware that the coastline can be dangerous, particularly during rough conditions. Several people have died while fishing near Homunga Bay.
Help stay safe when rock fishing by:
- Always wearing a life jacket
- Not fishing in exposed areas during rough or large seas (check swell and tide information before you go)
- Observing sea conditions before you fish and never choosing areas that are wet (waves have likely been washing over them)
- Never turning your back on the sea
- Following all warning signs
Read more about fishing safety.
Orokawa Scenic Reserve is north of Waihi Beach, off State Highway 2 at the end of Waihi Beach Road.
Caution: The track entrance at Waihi Beach may be inaccessible at high tide.
Dogs, horses, vehicles (including bicycles and motorbikes), fires, removal of plants or animals, camping or hunting are not permitted.
Orokawa Scenic Reserve contains pohutukawa-fringed beaches and uncommon remnants of coastal forest.
There are many historic pa sites.
Mine tunnels along the coast recall largely unsuccessful attempts to extract gold.