Maungauika/North Head Historic Reserve
Located in the Auckland region
IntroductionTake a self-guided walk through tunnels and other features of the area's military history.
DOC no longer administers the reserve
Ownership of Maungauika/North Head Historic Reserve has transferred to Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau (the Tāmaki Collective) as part of Treaty Settlement negotiations.
The Tūpuna Maunga Authority administers the reserve on behalf of the Collective.
Find things to do and places to stay Maungauika/North Head Historic Reserve
You can fish off the rocks on the eastern side of the reserve. Access to this fishing spot is via the Coastal Track.
Maungauika/North Head is located in Devonport at the northern headland of the Waitemata Harbour. The reserve is approximately 16 km from downtown Auckland by car taking around 30 minutes, depending on traffic conditions. You can also catch one of the regular ferries from downtown Auckland to Devonport Wharf.
The reserve is 2 km from Devonport Wharf. Follow King Edward Parade along the waterfront until you reach the end. Straight ahead is the Torpedo Bay Navy Museum. Turn left onto Cheltenham Road, then take the second road on your right - Takarunga Road. The gated entrance to the reserve is at the end of this road.
Vehicle and pedestrian access is via Takarunga Road.
- There are holes, sudden drops and uneven surfaces, especially in the tunnels.
- Take care when exploring the reserve and supervise children at all times.
- Keep dogs on leashes at all times and remove dog litter.
- Do not light fires.
- Take your rubbish away with you. There are no rubbish bins on Maungauika/North Head.
- Do not remove or disturb any artefacts or other historic remains.
- Do not camp on the reserve.
- The reserve is open at 6:00 am
- Vehicle access is via Takarunga Road
- Vehicle gate closes at 8:00 pm
- Pedestrian gates at Takarunga Road and at the southern end of Cheltenham Beach close at 10:00 pm
|Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 9 379 6476|
No physical address
Contact via email or phone
PO Box 32242
|Full office details|