Areas you can take dogs
Search for DOC:
- tracks in Coromandel you can take your dog
- hunting areas in Coromandel you can take your dog
- campgrounds in Coromandel you can take your dog
Select the 'dogs allowed' filter option on these pages.
Dog access rules are found on the track, campsite or hunting block overview.
If you're unsure about dog access in a particular area, check with the nearest DOC office or visitor centre before you set out. In the Coromandel region, Kauaeranga Visitor Centre will help you.
Dog access info outside of public conservation land
The Thames-Coromandel District Council has dog access information for areas outside of public conservation land.
Why dogs are not allowed in some areas
Many Coromandel conservation reserves, including off-shore islands, managed by DOC, are closed to dogs. This is because dogs can disturb or kill endangered and protected birds like kiwi, banded rail, penguin, New Zealand dotterel, pāteke and many other native species.
Dogs can also attack or intimidate people. Controlling dog access also protects the recreational experience and enjoyment of all visitors to public conservation land.
Dog owners can be charged under the Conservation Act if their dogs are in an area they are not allowed in or not leashed in an area that requires leash only dog access.
Areas dogs are allowed
- All dogs must be on a leash.
- Hunting dogs need a hunting permit.
You can take your dog to:
- Opera Point - dogs only allowed up to the site of Craig’s sawmill. No dogs on the Opera Pā site. Be aware of nesting New Zealand dotterel on the beach
- Kauri Block track, Coromandel Town
- Matarangi Bluff Walk
- Kauaeranga Valley short walks - no dogs on Billygoat Landing Walk
- Kauaeranga Valley tramping tracks - no dogs on Tarawaere-Billygoat Circuit, Moss Creek and Rangihau to Pinnacles tracks
- Crosbies Hut tracks
- Waiomu Kauri Grove
- Rocky's walk to Tinker's Gulley
- Wentworth Valley walks
- Waimana, Whiritoa - be aware of nesting New Zealand dotterel
Areas dogs are not allowed
Islands of the Coromandel region
- Coromandel offshore islands including Cuvier Island, Mercury Island group, Aldermen Island group
- Whangamata islands
- Motutapere Island, Coromandel Harbour
- Coromandel walkway and mountain bike track
- Muriwai Walk
- Fantail Bay walk
- Matamataharakeke Walk
- Papa Aroha walk
- Taumatawahine walk, Coromandel Town
- Kaipawa Trig
- Tokotea lookout
- Waiau Falls and Kauri Grove lookout
- Opito Point Pa
- Waitaia Track
- Whitianga Rock
- Te Pare Reserve, Hereheretaura Pa, Hahei
- Cathedral Cove
- Whenuakite Kauri Loop
- Pauanui Carpark to Cave Bay and Trig
- Broken Hills Tracks
- Opoutere Beach, Wharekawa Harbour Wildlife Refuge
- Kaitarakihi Track
- Kauaeranga Kauri Trail (Pinnacles)
- Billygoat Landing Walk
- Tarawaere-Billygoat Circuit
- Moss Creek Track
- Rangihau to Pinnacles Track
- Maratoto-Golden cross Track
- Maratoto Wires Track
- Maratoto Wentworth crossing