Fossick with care for the environment:
- Be informed of all statutory regulations that govern prospecting activities in New Zealand.
- Prospect only in the permitted area.
- Only drive your vehicles on tracks and roads open to the public.
- Do not remove or damage any shrubs or trees, and minimise damage to ground layer vegetation.
- Restore the ground as you found it. Backfill any holes you dig and replace any leaf litter as it was as best you can.
- Equipment for excavation on the land other than hand tools may not be used. Never use explosives.
- Don't disturb, destroy, interfere with or endanger an archaeological site or place of cultural significance.