At the conclusion of the previous Threat Management Plan (TMP) review (Māui dolphin section only), Ministers stated that the next full Hector's and Māui Threat Management Plan review would take place in 2018.
June 2020 announcement
In June 2020, the Minster of Conservation and the Minister of Fisheries announced their decisions on new measures from the review to increase protection for Hector’s and Māui dolphins.
Toxoplamosis Action Plan
This action plan will include:
- research to investigate knowledge gaps
- research to investigate solutions to reduce or eliminate the transfer of the parasite into the marine environment
- trial solutions to reduce or eliminate the transfer of the parasite into the marine environment.
Changes to five marine mammal sanctuaries and to Te Rohe o Te Whānau Puha/Kaikōura Whale Sanctuary
The Minister of Conservation proposals include:
- an extension to the West Coast North Island Marine Mammal Sanctuary
- an extension to the Banks Peninsula Marine Mammal Sanctuary
- banning seismic surveying and seabed mining in the five sanctuaries, including the extensions. There will be exemptions for existing exploration and mining permits
- exempt seismic surveying inside the five sanctuaries is required to comply with the 2013 Code of Conduct for Minimising Acoustic Disturbance to Marine Mammals from Seismic Survey Operations
- banning seabed mining in Te Rohe o Te Whānau Puha/Kaikōura Whale Sanctuary.
The Minister of Fisheries decided new fishing measures, that include:
- a nationwide ban on drift netting
- an extension of existing bans, and the creation of new bans, on set netting in the North and South Islands
- an extension of existing restrictions on trawling on the west coast of the North Island
- a change to the regulations allowing Government to act immediately to impose further restrictions if a single dolphin is caught in the Maui dolphin habitat within the west coast of the North Island.
Briefings and documents
- Attachment 1 Summary of submissions (PDF, 223K)
- Attachment 2 Technical analysis of non-fishing options (PDF, 1,608K)
- Attachment 3 Management planning assessment (PDF, 232K)
- Attachment 4 Outline of engagement undertaken with Maori - May 2018 - September 2019 (PDF, 138K)
- Attachment 5 Outline of views of affected Maori (PDF, 179K)
- Attachment 6 Draft Hectors and Maui Dolphin Toxoplasmosis Action Plan (PDF, 705K)
- Attachment 7 Maps – Hectors and Maui Dolphin TMP (PDF, 705K)
- Attachment 8 MBIE cover note (PDF, 97K)