A special place
The NZ native plant kakabeak
- It has a diversity of habitats for native wildlife as reflected in the wide range of plants, animals and interesting invertebrates
- Threatened plants such as kakabeak and yellow-flowered mistletoe
- A diverse range of native birds.
- The scenic 58 metre Shine Falls, highest waterfall in Hawke's Bay
- A diversity of recreation and education opportunities
- A record of flora and fauna from the late 1800s.
Nature restoration features
- Control of introduced plants and mammals
- Monitoring of forest health and scientific research
- Re-establishing native plants and animals
- Maintaining and upgrading recreational facilities
- Providing interpretation and publications.