Research and monitoring
Project River Recovery does research and monitoring to build knowledge of the natural heritage values in braided river systems. Some of these projects are:
- Video predator study: A five-year video camera study to determine the causes of nest failure for three braided river bird species – banded dotterel/turiwhatu, black stilt/kakī and black-fronted tern/tarapirohe. This study confirmed that introduced predators – particularly feral cats, ferrets and hedgehogs – are the main cause of nest failures for these braided river birds.
- Plant survey: Aims to describe the plant communites, establish the environmental factors influencing their distribution and structure, Identify nationally threatened plant species and communities of regional or national significance and Identify threats.
- Invertebrate survey: A pilot survey of terrestrial invertebrates in the Tasman River aims to develop efficient sampling methods for invertebrate communities in riverbeds. A cost-effective method will allow us to assess terrestrial invertebrate communitiies in other braided river systems in the upper Waitaki Basin.
- Native fish monitoring of long-term population change of the threatened upland longjaw galaxias at three sites in the Tasman and Hopkins rivers.
- Weed control: aims to improve how weeds are managed in braided rivers.
- Monitoring of the breeding success of wrybill/ngutu pare, banded dotterel/pohowera and black-fronted tern/tarapirohe to assess if predator control is helping these birds.
- Project River Recovery Interim Strategic Plan 2020-2023 (PDF, 586K)
- Project River Recovery Strategic Plan 2012-2019 (PDF, 2,192K)
- The vegetation of braided rivers in the upper Waitaki basin (PDF, 3,374K)
- Tasman river invertebrate study (PDF, 2,688K)
- Project River Recovery Annual Report 2020-21 (PDF, 4,500K)
- Project River Recovery Annual Report 2013-14 (PDF, 885K)
- Project River Recovery Annual Report 2012-13 (PDF, 410K)
- Project River Recovery Annual Report 2011-12 (PDF, 282 K)
- Project River Recovery Annual Report 2010-11 (PDF, 272 K)
- Project River Recovery Annual Report 2009-10 (PDF, 95K)
- Project River Recovery Annual Report 2008-09 (PDF, 88K)
- Braided River Care Code brochure (PDF, 418K)
- Braided River Field Guide (PDF, 1,720K)
- Braided rivers poster (PDF 1,650K)
- Conservation of braided river birds - South Canterbury