New booking dates open in July for DOC Great Walks
IntroductionDOC has announced new opening dates for booking Great Walks and other facilities for the 2023/24 season (excluding Milford which booked out on 20 April).
Date: 14 June 2023
When DOC went to release opening dates in May for the rest of the Great Walks, technical difficulties forced a postponement of that release.
“We are now pleased to announce that the rest of the Great Walks bookings will open from 11 July,” says Cat Wilson, Director of Heritage and Visitors.
“The fixes made to the booking system have been tested extensively by our vendor and an independent specialist, so we have the assurance we need to re-open bookings soon.
“We are grateful to everyone for their patience and understanding and appreciate the time it has taken to make the required changes to the system mean we are opening bookings later than usual.”
The new dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, 11 July 2023, 9.30 am – Tongariro Northern Circuit
- Wednesday, 12 July 2023, 9.30 am – Rakiura Track
- Thursday, 13 July 2023, 9.30 am – Paparoa Track
- Tuesday, 18 July 2023, 9.30 am – Abel Tasman Coast Track
- Wednesday, 19 July 2023, 9.30 am – Whanganui Journey
- Thursday, 20 July 2023, 9.30 am – Kepler Track
- Tuesday, 25 July 2023, 9.30 am – Routeburn Track
- Wednesday, 26 July 2023, 9.30 am – Heaphy Track*
*Due to storm damage, the Heaphy Track can be booked from either end up to 19 October 2023, with the full track expected to be open as a through trip from this date.
Lake Waikaremoana is closed due to damage.
Milford Track is sold out.
Huts, lodges, campsites
- Thursday, 27 July 2023, 9.30 am – Momorangi Bay Campground
- Tuesday, 1 August 2023, 9.30 am – South Island huts, campsites and lodges
- Wednesday, 2 August 2023, 9.30 am – North Island huts, campsites and lodges
- Thursday, 3 August 2023, 9.30 am – Tōtaranui Campground
Note: For stays at DOC facilities between 1 July 2023 and 31 August 2023
Bookings are currently open for stay dates up to 30 June 2023. Before the end of June, this will be extended to include stay dates up to 31 August 2023.
For media enquiries contact: