Work has started at Aniwaniwa
Archived content: This media release was accurate on the date of publication.
IntroductionDOC has started dismantling and removing the old Aniwaniwa Visitor Centre.
Date: 05 September 2016
The Department of Conservation has begun the process of dismantling and removing the old Aniwaniwa Visitor Centre this morning.
Late this morning a small group, which included family members of the late John Scott, were taken on site to carry out a farewell with dignity and respect throughout the building, this ceremony included karakia and waiata.
A karakia was held at 5am today by the Waikaremoana Tribal Authority at the site to clear the way for the work to start and also for those workers who will be carrying out the work over the next six to eight weeks.
Work has begun on securing and making the site and building safe for the Auckland company contracted to carry out the work.
A small DOC project team is overseeing the dismantling and are working closely with Te Uru Taumatua who are managing the site and surrounds.
Robyn Orchard, DOC Communications Manager (Acting)
Mobile: +64 27 476 1769
Waikare Kruger, Tūhoe - Te Uru Taumatua
Phone: +64 7 312 9659