Date: 02 October 2012
Jill Hoffman from Invercargill has been announced as the winner of the photo contest jointly run by the Department of Conservation and Sirocco the kākāpō, New Zealand's official Spokesbird for Conservation.
The contest, which was one of many “Love Your Parks” Conservation Week events, saw New Zealanders from Sirocco’s 14,000 strong Facebook community, entering and voting for their favourite photos through the site.
"I don't get to travel around New Zealand all that often so this competition was the perfect way for me to see and learn about New Zealand’s parks. As official Spokesbird for Conservation, I really need to know why New Zealanders love them so much," says Sirocco.
Story continues below image
Jill Hoffman's winning photo taken on the Kepler Track, Te Anau.
The 10 photos with the most votes were then sent to professional nature photographer Rob Suisted for judging. The photo from Jill taken in the Iris Brun Valley on the Kepler Track was chosen as the winner.
“To me [Jill’s] photo captures a great interaction with one of our National Parks and wild places – a beautiful location, well framed, lots of interest, great lighting and mood,”says Rob.
Jill will receive:
- Flights to Queenstown from the winner's nearest airport, courtesy of Air New Zealand
- Return transport from Queenstown to Te Anau, courtesy of Tracknet
- Two night's accommodation in Te Anau, courtesy of Red Tussock Motel
- Transfers to and from the Kepler Great Walk track, courtesy of Tracknet
- Freedom Walk vouchers (3 night hut passes) for the Kepler Great Walk track
- A Milford Sound cruise, including lunch and pick up, courtesy of JUCY Cruize
- Massage vouchers, courtesy of Fiordland Massage Clinic
- Horse trek vouchers, courtesy of Highride Adventures
- Entry to 'Fiordland on Film - Ata Whenua' vouchers, courtesy of Fiordland Cinema
- A meal at Fiordland's home of pizza and pasta, courtesy of La Toscana