The brilliant use of colour, beach material and clever use of words produced some impressive winning entries in last month’s Seaweek pictures and stories competition “My connection to the sea”.
The competition for kids ages 3 to 12 years concluded a successful Seaweek and attracted 60 entries. The kids were asked to create a picture, a story or both saying why the sea was important to them, their family or community. The judges were most impressed with the efforts and high standard of entries says Seaweek Regional Co-ordinator, Trudi Ngawhare.
Voucher prizes were awarded to the winners:
- Pre-school section Raymond Braybrook 4 years
- Junior section Rangituia Potaka 8 years of Tolaga Bay Area School
- Senior section Keeli Powell 11 years of Tolaga Bay Area School
- Pre-school section No Entry
- Junior section Jaylah Poihipi 6 years
- Senior section Johnny-Red Poihipi & Shonita Waikare 9 years
- Pre-school section Muriwai Kinghazel 4 years
- Junior section Meretuahiahi Molyneux 7 years
- Senior section Te Maumahara Heremia 9 years
“The winning entries connected with both an appreciation for the sea, encouraging audiences to protect what we enjoy. It is heartening to see that our future is in very good hands.”
“Thank you for sharing your pictures and stories, inspiring our communities to take care of our awesome heritage – the sea” says Ms Ngawhare.