Date: 20 June 2011
The winning song has been found in the competition dubbed New Zealand Idol for native birds.
Sirocco (the rock star) kakapo
'Bird call' by Shayne Burrows of New Plymouth, was voted the best in the Department of Conservation’s New Zealand Music Month Remix the sounds of New Zealand competition.
“I just wanted to get some of my music out there, even though I am still very much an amateur,” says Shayne, who made the track from bird song on the DOC website, remixed with his own music in the software application GarageBand.
The competition was perfect for Shayne who has always been interested in music and birds – he even uses kokako as his avatar on Twitter and as a logo for his work.
The idea of remixing New Zealand’s native birds to create contemporary new sounds proved popular with New Zealanders here and abroad – with entries coming from as far away as Amsterdam and London.
“Our national identity is strongly linked to our natural identity,” says Elizabeth Marenzi from DOC’s web team.
“New Zealanders have a strong emotional connection to nature. For a lot of people our native birds really are New Zealand idols.
“It wasn’t until I was living overseas that I really began to appreciate what I had here in Aotearoa,” says Elizabeth speaking about the number of overseas entries received.
“Don’t wait until you’ve left the country, or the birds are gone for good, before you start to cherish them – the health of our birdlife tells you about the health of our country as a whole.”
“I’d love it if through this whole fun process, people go away with a better appreciation of our birds.” she says.
Shayne receives a copy of the Unnatural History of Kakapo DVD and Alison Balances award winning book Kakakpo: Rescued from the brink of extinction.
Listen to the top five
- Bird call, Shayne Burrows (MP3, 2,733K)
- In the woods, Matt Oliver (MP3, 4,034K)
- King Kakapo & the Waipoua Posse, Joey Hobbs (MP3, 5,654K)
- Moimoia (dream/memory), Liam Ryan (MP3, 6,118K)
- Sirocco's theme, Liam White (MP3, 5,460K)
Listen to some of the other entries
- Anam Cara, Liam Ryan (MP3, 5,193K)
- Bird division, Mike Balky (MP3, 8,278K)
- Birdstep, Ben Sharp (MP3, 6,670K)
- Dawn of the bellbirds, Liam White (MP3, 5,678K)
- Dirtscratcher, David Wynn (MP3, 3179K)
- First flight, Jeremy Veal (MP3, 11,451K)
- Karanga kakapo (Call of the kakapo), Gavin Keen (MP3, 2,389K)
- Party on the lake, John Heighes (MP3, 4,159K)
- Don't cry, Dan Smith (MP3, 5,460K)
About the competition
The competition to remix New Zealand bird song ran throughout New Zealand Music Month in 2011. Entries came from New Zealanders as far away as Melbourne, Amsterdam and London.
Our judges picked the top five entries which were posted on the Conservation blog and here on the DOC website. The public voted to choose the winner.