New hut for Coromandel
Archived content: This media release was accurate on the date of publication.
IntroductionA new DOC hut and camping facility is under construction at Crosbies Settlement on the main Coromandel range, about 12km north east of Thames.
Date: 23 April 2010
A new DOC hut and camping facility is under construction at Crosbies Settlement on the main Coromandel range, about 12km north east of Thames.
In with the new doesn’t necessarily mean out with the old, in order to compile a presentation of the history of the settlement DOC is seeking information, documents or photos that may be around in the community.
‘Quite a bit of material is held already, but there may well be new items out there that we don’t know about,’ says DOC’s Neville Ritchie. ‘In particular we want to correctly identify the photograph, which is of an old building at Crosbies.’
One school of thought is that it was the Crosbie family homestead, located around the pine shelter belts at the southern end of the settlement, while others believe it was the old woolshed, on CD Wright’s block at the northern end.
Crosbies Settlement was established in 1880 and was farmed until about 1970, when the area (or most of it) became into the Coromandel Forest Park. The woolshed was later converted to a trampers hut by NZFS in the 1970’s and was blown down in the 1980’s.
The new hut will sleep 10 people and is expected to be open to the public in June 2010.
Community Relations Ranger
Phone: +64 7 8679075
Mobile: +64 27 2178876